How do I reclaim any unused road tax?

If there’s still some road tax left on your car, DVLA will refund any complete months that remain. The process differs depending on whether your car is to be scrapped or returned to the road via repair or auction.

  • If your car is to be scrapped, the Certificate of Destruction that we issue will automatically trigger your refund. You don’t need to notify DVLA yourself. The refund will be back dated to the date you handed over your car.
  • If your car is to be returned to the road, we will have instructed you to notify DVLA of the sale using the yellow section 9 of your registration certificate (V5C/3). This will automatically trigger your refund.

A cheque will be posted to the registered keeper shown on the registration certificate (V5C) within 6 weeks, contact DVLA.

Visit the DVLA website for more information on car tax refundsundefined


If you still have questions, you can find all of the answers in the following categories:

About your donation About your car Sorting the paperwork Having your car collected About Charity Car

Alternatively, you can search our website below:

Call Us

0330 818 85 56 during opening hours.

Standard rate applies (as per 01 or 02 numbers and is usually included in any free minutes).

Get a Call Back

During opening hours request a call back by entering your telephone number below.
An operator will call you as soon as they become available.

Send an email to or use the form below.

It helps if you tell us your registration or reference number if you have one.
During opening hours we'll usually respond within two hours.

Chat with us online now.

Online chat is compatible with most desktop and tablet computers, and may be available outside of our usual opening hours.