How do I notify DVLA?

When you donate your car with us, you'll need to notify DVLA using one of the following methods. The branch will be able to help you with this.

If you have the registration certificate (V5C)

You can notify DVLA using the website, where you will need the name and address of the branch (which will be shown on your confirmation email), your car registration, the 11 digit reference number from the latest vehicle registration certificate (V5C), the date you donated your car.

You can fill in the yellow ‘sell, transfer or part-exchange your vehicle to the motor trade’ section of your registration certificate, and send the perforated section to DVLA - DVLA,
Swansea SA99 1BD - If you notify the DVLA via the website, you do not need to send the yellow section off.

If you do not have the registration certificate (V5C)

You should write to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BD, giving your name and address, your car registration, the make and model, the date you donated of your car, the name and address of the branch (which will be shown on your confirmation email).

You’ll be sent a letter and an email confirmation (if you gave your email address using the website) confirming you’re no longer the registered keeper of the car, and a refund cheque for any full months left on your vehicle tax, calculated from the date DVLA gets your information - if you pay by Direct Debit, it’ll be cancelled automatically.